Master of Arts in Library and Information Science
About the Program - For information by specific program see menu to the right.
Academic, Public, and Special
Students seeking a MLIS degree must complete 39 semester hours of coursework during
which they must maintain an average of "B" or better and no more than two grades
of "C" will be accepted. Transfer credit from other recognized graduate schools
is limited to six semester hours taken within the last five years with grades of
"B" or better. All transfers must be approved by the candidate's faculty advisor.
Transfer credits must be posted to a student's permanent record no later than one
full term prior to graduation.
For the convenience of students who work or commute, the School offers a flexible
schedule of evening, daytime, alternate Saturday, and weekend certification courses
in Tampa, at the USF extension campuses, in the East Coast Program, at various sites
throughout the state, and through the Internet.
Cooperative Programs with other Florida Universities
To allow USF students even more flexibility in planning their degree programs, USF
will accept up to 6 hours of approved transfer credit for courses taken from other
Florida public universities, and from selected private universities.
To receive MLS degree, the student must complete the following 39 hour master's
- LIS 5020 (formerly LIS 5404) Foundations of Library and Information Science or LIS 6260 Information Science in Librarianship
- LIS 6271 Research Methods in Library and Information Science
- LIS 6409 Introduction to Library Administration
- LIS 6511 Collection Development and maintenance
- LIS 6603 Basic Information Sources and Services
- LIS 6711 Organization of Knowledge I or LIS 6735 Technical Services in Libraries
- Elective courses totaling 21 credit hours. These courses must be approved by the
Fieldwork Information - See Fieldwork on main menu (left) for more information.
"Supervised Fieldwork" in the Library and Information Science program requires
120 hours on-site under the guidance of a supervisor who is a recognized information
professional. LIS 6946 Supervised Fieldwork (3 CR) is a 3 credit graduate course.
Need more information? Please contact Maria Treadwell at email@example.com / (954) 357-7405 or Daniel Kahl at firstname.lastname@example.org / (813) 974-8022. Note: Current LIS students should contact their assigned SI advisor.